These yummy Whole30 approved jalapeno turkey burgers are topped with caramelized onions and jalapenos making them packed with flavor!
My husband poo-pooed turkey burgers (or burgers of any kind) during the first part of our Whole30. “There’s no way they could have enough flavor without a bun to make it worth it” he said. Then one night when he was traveling and desperate, he ordered a burger from room service and raved and raved about it. I asked him what made it so special and changed his attitude towards a naked burger and he simply said “the toppings made the burger!”
Challenge accepted. I was so confident that he would love this jalapeno turkey burger with caramelized onion and jalapeno topping that I made them for his birthday dinner. (Yup, we were finishing up out last days of Whole30 on his birthday! #champ). And I was not wrong. These were a HUGE hit not only in our house but on my Insta Stories as well. I got a ton of messages about them! Second only to the time I shared my new found love of Batiste and not washing my hair lol. My people.
Whole30 Approved Jalapeno Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Onion and Jalapeno Topping
Adapted for our tastes from this recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (I left the seeds and membranes but we like it hot! Remove these or use less here if you want to tone down the heat)
- 1/2 medium white onion, minced
- Juice of one lime + tsp of zest
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 a teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced thin
- 1 medium white onion, sliced super thin
- 1/4 cup oil of choice (I used coconut)
1) Melt coconut oil in a pan over medium-low heat. 2) Add onions to the pan and cook until caramelized (20ish mins). Add the jalapenos after about 15 mins. as they will not take as long to cook. 3) In a separate pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. 4) Mix all of the burger ingredients together in a bowl until well combined. 5) Form into four patties. 6) Cook on stove for about 5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
I also topped our’s with some home made guacamole which I highly recommend. But I also recommend putting guac on literally everything possible so take that how you wish. You can jazz up you avocados with whatever ingredients you have but usually I make “lazy girl guac” and just add some garlic salt to taste to my avocados. YUM.
Hope you enjoy! Let me know if you give these a try 🙂