Really, I’ve never been a “goal setter.” I’ve never been the one to set major goals or plans for my life. I want to have experiences and memories, have true relationships, and be the best version of myself I can, but that’s really it. However, this January marked the first I haven’t been a full-time college student with a full-time job in over 6 years, so obviously, my life feels completely different. I have time to actually THINK about the long-term instead of what has to be done right this minute. And I have to say, I love it. I have really felt challenged to live more intentionally in 2014.
I’m sure you all are super tired of goal posts by now. But I really think there is something to be said for the accountability you feel after writing out, and in this case, sharing your goals with the world. By the world I mean all seven of you who have already checked this blog today :). PS I love you all.
I may not be a goal setter, but I don’t think I’ve ever done anything, productive at least, that wasn’t written on a to-do list. So that is the way I look at this list. A to-do list of my intentions for my life now that I am a college graduate. Let’s get to it.
1. Blog – Well lookie there! 21 days into the year and I’m checking things off the list. Yay me. But really, blogging is something I have wanted to do for a long time. So far I’m loving it as an outlet for my feelings and emotions. Feelings and emotions are my specialty, so look out for more of those. My fiance claims I’m dramatic, I like to call it passionate.
2. Read Books for Fun – Failing at this so far. Failing hard. I guess I’m still not recovered from the past 6 (er 20?) years of school where they force you to read books. I used to love to read and have a ton of books pilled up at home and on my iPad I WILL get to. But I really just want to reread the Harry Potter books. Nerd alert.
3. Volunteer/Give Back – I can’t claim it was exactly intentional, but an opportunity to help my roommate coach a middle school cheerleading team for a few weeks kind of fell in my lap, so that totally counts. Side note: I am LOVING getting back into this coaching thing. I have missed coaching girls who can actually do stuff. I think I’m going to be able to coach this team for the entire season next year, so fingers crossed that everything works out.
4. Eat better – I’m just going to say, no. I won’t go in to how I ate Penn Station last night for dinner, pizza tonight, and have a date with girl friends tomorrow at my favorite Mexican place. Oh, wait…
5. Save Money – I funded my college education almost 100% on my own, with cash, not loans. Hence the many jobs. I have always lived paycheck to paycheck, essentially, so I’m excited to start saving some money. I’m doing ok, but have made some large wedding related purchases over the last few weeks. Definitely am going to have to make this more of a priority.
6. Buy a House – Still a pipe dream for today my friends. But we are working as hard as we possibly can to make this a reality in the next 2-3 months.
7. Get Married – I’m only half of the equation here, but I’m pretty sure this will happen on a certain day in September. Lord knows we’ve shelled out enough money already. Elope people. Just do it.
There we have it. Write down your intentions! I swear, it helps.